Tuesday 18 September 2012

I Can't Serve You, It's The Law...

I've worked in food retail for nearly nine years and this means dealing with refusals on a regular basis. When I say 'refusals' I mean refusing to serve someone because they have no ID, are too drunk or with people who don't have ID.

Recently however, there seems to have been a massive increase in people who seem to think they can obtain cigarettes/tobacco and/or alcohol without the need to prove to me they are 18. This usually results in them going away, muttering a few choice words under their breath. Usually "fucking speccy cunt".

On some occasions people can become quite hostile. I have been shouted at, sworn at and threatened. I've had people kick over displays, punch the window and even throw my pen across the shop (the third being the worst, as pens are hard to come by in my job), all because they didn't get their own way.

For those of you who don't work in retail or deal with selling 'sensitive products' here is a list of reasons of what happens if we get caught selling to under age people;

  • £80 'on the spot' fine
  • Disciplinary/loss of bonus
  • Possible loss of job
  • Store could lose licence 
  • Criminal record 

Oddly enough, I do not want to risk any of the above just so you can get a packet of 20 Mayfair and no amount of shouting, swearing, threatening and temper tantrums will make me change my mind.

You will also get refused for the following;

  • No ID
  • With people who look young and have no ID
  • If you're drunk
  • If it's suspected you're buying for someone not old enough/been refused
Now I've been on an intensive two day course to earn my alcohol licence. I know the law and who I can and cannot serve, I'm not doing it because I'm a 'jobs worth' I'm doing it so I don't risk getting a criminal record and a fine.

A lot of kids think that when they turn 18 they think they're able to buy alcohol regardless of the situation. If you come up to me with two mates and try and buy a bottle of vodka and some beer, I'm going to assume your mates are going to be drinking it, so I shall require some ID from them too. 

I will NOT fall for the "Oh, my mates aren't drinking it..." line. I'm sorry, are your friends going to sit there and not have any? Would you not like to buy them some Ribena so they don't feel left out? People also seem to think I require hard evidence that they're going to drink it. No. I am entitled to refuse the sale without proof.

I've had situations when people have left the store after being refused, then literally minutes later one of their friends come in and try to buy the EXACT same stuff that's still behind me on the floor from the last person I refused hoping I have the memory of a goldfish.

I find it so hard to work out why, in this day and age, people fail to realise that they might get ID'd and often act surprised. 

I want to get the message across to anyone who looks 'young' and is considering buying alcohol/cigarettes please use your brain and take some form of ID.

Please.

I'm begging you.

It will mean you get what you want and I don't have to argue with you. Because I have a lot better things to be getting on with in my day, than arguing with someone who won't take 'no' for an answer and then decides to have a childish tantrum.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment