Tuesday 27 August 2013

My Twitter Addiction

In late 2009 I was introduced to a website called 'Twitter'. I had no idea what it was or what I was supposed to do, so after three for four days I stopped using it.

Then, in July 2010 I decided to give it another go to see what all the fuss was about. Little did I realise I was signing up to a website that would pretty much take over my life.

Back then, Twitter was nowhere near as big as it is now. You hardly ever heard friends or family talking about it let alone see it appearing on the TV. These days most TV shows start off with a hashtag of their show so you can join in with the conversation online.

Nowadays it's all over the news as 'trolls' use it to anonymously abuse celebrities and general users from the safety of their computer screen. Social media is constantly being slated and people who use it seem to be 'looked down upon'.

Back in 2010 I didn't have any followers, so I did what every self respecting person would do and I advertised my username on the website LadsLads which got me 10-15 followers, some of which I am pleased to say still follow me to this day despite my rantings and ravings.

At the time my friend/colleague, Alex Turner (@CaptainBeverage) was the only other person I know who used Twitter on a regular basis. It soon became a competition over who got the most followers.

Alex's style of tweets were, and still are the same. Quality/intelligence over my ranting/moaning style tweets. Fortunately for me, people spend most of their time on social media complaining about everyday life, TV shows and celebrities. Needless to say I won and I am currently sat on 1,890 followers where I have been for the past six months and unable to budge.  I used to worry about the amount of followers, but these days I just tweet what I like rather than tweeting what other people want to see.

Today I will happily admit that I have an 'addiction'. I used to find it very difficult to not tweet about my life and I often found myself checking my time-line rather than going outside. I have found a happy medium of spending time online and actually going out and seeing friends. I am no longer sat in social occasions and tweeting constantly, unless something genuinely funny/interesting happens then I will tweet about it because I enjoy sharing things that have amused me, with the world.

For some reason I have this 'need' to know what strangers are doing with their lives. Often this leads to jealousy as I often see tweets from people on holiday or on a night out, whilst I'm sat on my break in a convenience store on the Isle of Wight.

On the positive side of things, I have met some genuinely nice people on Twitter and I am currently planning on meeting some of them in the near future and there are some genuinely clever, funny, interesting and rather attractive people I have pleased to have 'met' (if I can use that word) which would not have happened if I had not been for Twitter.

So that's my 'Twitter life' summed up in a short blog, I hope you enjoyed reading it as I rather enjoyed writing it.

I'm sure someone out there has pretty much the same tale to tell, if you do can you please let me know, so I know I'm not the only one?

On a serious note, if you have ever been subjected to negative/abusive tweets from a stranger because of something you've said, just remember that they probably don't know you and that their opinion is based on what you've said rather than you as a person.

Thanks again for reading this and happy tweeting.

Matt x (@mattissotrendy)






No comments:

Post a Comment