Monday 16 July 2012

I am not a 'Grammar Nazi'

Let me tell you where I stand with regards to the use of the English language...

First of all, I am not a snob. Nor am I a 'Grammar Nazi'. I just can't ignore bad grammar.

This me as a cat. Apparently. 
I accept that people make 'typos' and not everyone is perfect. I accept the fact that there are people out there who are dyslexic. I have no issue with these people.

What I can't stand however, is people who write blogs/tweets/status updates using text speak and/or no full stops or commas. They are literally impossible to read. A blog without commas takes about 50% more time to read than a normal blog. Because I find myself reading the fucking thing, over and over again. Chucking 'lol' in the middle of the sentence is just stupid. Sorry, I just like being able to read things first time round, without reading the same sentence over and over again.

Perfect example..

"BASICALLY WAS READING ON INTERNET AND THERS A THEORY CALLED GAY UNCLE WHICH BASICALLY MEANS WHEN A GAY IS IN THE FAMILY THE WOMAN ARE MORE FERTILE AND HAVE MORE CHLDEREN AND THE GAY UNCLE LOOKS AFTER HIS SIBLINGS CHILDREN SO THE GAY GENE IS PASSED ON THROUGH HIS NEICES WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS AND CAN YOU SAY HOW MANT CHILDERN ARE IN YOUR FAMILY
MY MOTHER HAD 4 CHILDERN AND MY MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER HAD 7 CHILDERN .."

This is a blog from LadsLads.com. Everything about it angers me. It's all in upper case, it has no commas/fullstops and the spelling is horrific.

I would understand the use of 'txt spk' if we were still using phones from the late 90s/early 00s. But all phones these days have a full qwerty keyboard. People WILL judge you. I can't help but let it anger me. I am fully aware this isn't an English exam, you don't have to tell me. I'm just trying to fucking educate you. If I see a post called 'OMG, luk wot happened 2 me 2day lol' I actually get slightly angry inside. I can't help it, it just really really annoys me.

It doesn't stop at the internet. I work in retail and I have seen application forms (fortunately not many) where people have actually used 'u' instead of 'you'. These get thrown straight into the bin. I mean seriously? You're actually writing like it in real life? I dread to think if people actually write like this in their exams.

So basically, I am saying that I am not a snob, I just can't stand watching the English language being destroyed because people are too lazy to type 'you' properly.

If you are going to write like it, stick to texting your illiterate lazy friends and let the educated people run the world.

Oh, if you do find mistakes in this and decide to 'give me shit' for it, remember I have no issues with typos/mistakes.

Grammar rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment